When “Having It All” Looks Different Than You Planned
A Reflective Conversation with Betty Wang
Episode No. 358 | April 05, 2023
Betty Wang, CFP®
BW Financial Planning
If you’ve ever found yourself questioning what “having it all” looks like for you, how to pull focus on those visions and find balance as you start and run your business, this episode is for you.
In this reflective and empowering conversation, XYPN member Betty Wang, CFP®, founder of BW Financial Planning, shares a very real look into her journey from a career in financial services on the buy side, to taking time off to care for her children with medical issues to returning to the industry in private equity and ultimately deciding to do her own thing as a firm owner.
While she doesn’t describe herself as an entrepreneur—because she doesn't fit the image that she had of what it means to be an entrepreneur—she has built a very successful firm.
She launched in 2018, but struggled to put herself out into the world, so she didn't see much traction early on.
That all changed in 2020 when she made the decision to lean into the uncomfortable parts of the business, primarily selling financial planning and the relationship with her as the product of her business—and it has grown rapidly since.
She shares how she has been able to be intentional with her time—focusing on working 25 hours a week so she can spend time with her kids (something she hadn’t envisioned being a priority in the beginning of her career). She also shares tools she uses to help with what she calls life planning—a way for her to focus on living from a fulcrum of integrity, according to her values.
There are many aspects of Betty’s story that you may find familiar, but mostly I think you’ll appreciate her ability to turn the unexpected into an intentional and meaningful life. I hope you enjoy this conversation as much as I did!
Listen to the Full Interview:
Watch the Full Episode:
In this episode, we cover:
- Betty’s decision to choose the non-sales path to financial planning (00:02:25)
- Taking CFP courses to test the financial advising waters (00:10:46)
- Not viewing yourself as a natural entrepreneur and launching your own firm anyway (00:18:04)
- How having tax knowledge has allowed Betty to narrow down who her ideal client is (00:28:44)
- Creating a framework to stay on track of the goals that matter (00:37:23)
- If Betty would buy and build the business she has today if she was on the other side (00:43:24)
- The value of saying no to clients that aren’t the right fit (00:45:04)
- What plans Betty has for BW Financial Planning in the next 12-24 months (00:48:31)
Resources mentioned on the show:
- Betty Wang: Website | LinkedIn | Facebook | Twitter | Find an Advisor Profile
- CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™
- XYPN Radio Guest Nomination Form
- XYPN Facebook VIP Community
- Carl Richards
- Limitless FA
- Fee Only Network
- Enrolled Agent (EA)
- CPA Academy
- XYPN LIVE
- The Good Life: Lessons from the World's Longest Scientific Study of Happiness by Robert Waldinger M.D. and Marc Schulz Ph.D
- James Clear - Integrity Reports
- Entrepreneurial Operating System (EOS)
- The EOS Life by Gino Wickman
- Savvy Ladies
- Ep #351: The Gift of Community – Why Members of an XYPN Mastermind Group Are Better Together: With Dillon Cobb, Andrew Gray, and Allen Mueller
This Episode is Sponsored By:
As the host, you can probably tell I really enjoy these conversations with XYPN members who are sharing their very real and inspiring stories. The real part is especially impactful for me. It’s true that the rules of safety are written in blood—and we all gain from listening to those who’ve “been there, learned from that.” If you’d like to learn more from the experiences of others or to share your own—or maybe just need other sources of inspiration—go to xyplanningnetwork.com/events and register to join one of our monthly webinars where you can participate in these impactful conversations!
Get the Full Episode Transcript:
Read the Transcript Below:
You May Also Like
These Related Episodes