College Planning, Student Loans, and Today’s Economic Realities
September 30, 2020
We’re excited to have student loan expert, Heather Jarvis, and college funding expert, Joe Messinger, on the show today. This year for #XYPNLIVE(ish), XYPN’s annual national conference turned virtual, Heather and Joe are offering a combined Post-Con for advisors interested in learning about the dynamic landscape of college planning and student loans.
Today, Joe and Heather highlight the issue of students and parents making unprepared and uneducated decisions around these nuanced and evolving topics of college planning and student loans due to a lack of clear and concise information. Joe and Heather challenge advisors to raise the bar of advice in this space by equipping themselves with the tools and resources that their clients deserve. Most importantly,Heather and Joe remind us that clients need advisors who can listen, sympathize, and shine light on the potential long term impact of decisions around paying for college.
If you want to be prepared to discuss college and student loan planning with your clients, then this show is for you.
Listen to the Full Interview:
What You'll Learn from This Episode:
- A high-level overview of Joe Messinger and Heather Javis’ upcoming Post-Con at XYPNLIVE(ish) about college and student loan planning (00:02:55)
- The importance of understanding college and student loan planning and the lack of public resources on the topics (00:11:10)
- How to incorporate student loans into your practice to best serve your clients (00:12:39)
- Changes in both industries over the years including policy and statistics (00:17:59)
- How a recession impacts the number of people attending college and the supply/demand aspect of it (00:28:43)
- Why student loans are becoming a bigger issue now that the middle class is affected by this problem (00:34:13)
- Ways to get involved with advocacy for consumer protection (00:45:20)
- Why Heather and Joe continue to do the work they do for student loans and college planning (00:49:43)
Featured on the Show:
- Joe Messinger: Website | LinkedIn
- Heather Jarvis: Website | LinkedIn
- #XYPNLIVE(ish) 2020
- Post-Con: Add-On Events
- College Funding and Student Loan Workshop
- Student Aid
- Financial Student Aid
- College Scorecard
- Inside Higher Ed
This Episode is Sponsored By:
Avocado toast. Selfies. A mountain of student loan debt. Gen Y is anything but traditional and with over 75 million people, it's a population you don't want to ignore. Learn more about how to serve this unique population in our guide, "Attract and Profitably Serve Millennial Clients in Your RIA." Discover three key ways to tap into the millennial market and the six things they want from their financial advisor. Visit www.xyplanningnetwork.com/millennials for your free copy.
Get the Full Episode Transcript:
Read the Transcript Below:
You May Also Like
These Related Episodes