Trace Tisler walked away from a comfortable job in a successful, fee-only RIA to strike out on his own. He’s now building his own fee-only firm… with one of our favorite financial planning firm names in the industry (listen to the podcast to find out what it is!).
Financial planning doesn’t have to be a cookie-cutter service. Trace is one firm owner who’s forging ahead on the path less traveled and making a career out of working with clients before they’ve amassed a retirement nest egg. He works with people all over the income spectrum, and it’s his goal to help them build wealth for their futures.
As we’ve said before, starting a business isn’t all rainbows and unicorns. Trace is frank about the challenges he’s facing at this point, three years in. Even though the experience has been much tougher than he ever imagined, he has no regrets.
We offer a number of helpful recommendations for new entrepreneurs who are just getting started in the financial planning industry. Trace was generous with his time and his lessons learned. You’ll find this conversation to be a valuable resource.
Listen to the Full Interview:
What You’ll Learn from This Episode:
- How Trace caters to a variety of clients and offers a variable service model (instead of providing cookie-cutter planning).
- Why managing your expectations before starting a business is important.
- How he and his wife bootstrapped a Paleo meal delivery business.
- The importance of selecting an appropriate name for your firm.
- How planners can be more effective when working with younger clients.
- Why embracing your mistakes will help you succeed.