About Steven Fox, CFP®, EA
Hi! I’m Steven Fox, and I started Next Gen Financial Planning to provide young professionals with a better way to get financial advice tailored to their needs. Most financial advisors focus on serving either retirees or the ultra-wealthy, and aren’t familiar with the issues that younger clients need help with.
I will partner with you to define your own version of your ideal life, and help you use money as a tool to get you there. Together, we’ll create a plan that will help you answer the financial questions you’ve been wondering about such as:
– What do I want my future to look like, and what role do my financial decisions play as I design my ideal life?
– I just had a baby, should I start saving for their college education? What’s the best way to do it?
– What’s the best way to balance paying down my debt while trying to save for the future?
– Should I refinance or consolidate my student loans? How do special student loan programs like PSLF, PAYE, and ICR work?
– I’m thinking about a major life change like getting married or starting a business. How does that affect my finances?
– It’s open enrollment time at my company and the options are overwhelming. How do I know which selections to make to maximize my employee benefits?
– I want to save for retirement, but how do I know how much I need to contribute or which funds to invest in?
– I haven’t looked at my life, auto, or home insurance policies since buying them several years ago. Do I have the right coverage for me, and am I paying too much?
– Do I need a will, trust, or other estate planning documents?
– I just received a big bonus at work! Should I invest it, pay down my mortgage, or finally take that Caribbean diving trip I’ve been itching for?
Once you realize that every decision is a financial decision, it changes the way that you approach planning for your future. I can help you orient your financial picture to align with your goals and values, and provide insight on how all of the puzzle pieces fit together.
As a young United States Marine, I was taught to live my life in accordance with the core values of honor, courage, and commitment. These lessons have carried over into my current life as a financial planner, and contributed to the development of the principles that I follow when serving clients. Here are a few of the most important ones:
– Everyone can benefit from working with a well-trained and competent financial advisor, not just those who are already wealthy.
– Real financial planning starts with your personal values and life goals. You deserve to be treated like the living, breathing, thinking, and feeling individual that you are, not as a spreadsheet with a series of financial formulas for your advisor to solve.
– Providing financial planning services on a fee-only basis (meaning that no commissions are collected for any financial products recommended) removes conflicts of interest and results in more objective advice.
– Every client deserves qualified, proficient advice and guidance. I have a duty to learn as much as I can about every area of financial planning in order to give the best possible advice. If I don’t know the answer to a question, I’ll find it. When subject matter experts are required to solve a unique problem, I’ll refer out to them.
– If I do everything in my power to provide clients with excellent service, then they’ll stick around for a long time and we both win.
Personal finance doesn’t have to feel stressful or overwhelming. It’s time to make a plan, build confidence in your financial future, and create your own version of your ideal life.
If you’d like to learn more about how I can help, please go ahead and schedule a free introductory meeting (online or at my office in San Diego) so we can get started!
This being the first blog post for Next Gen Financial Planning, I’ve thought a lot about what topic I should choose to write about. Perhaps I could channel my inner nerd as a financial planner and start with a more technical financial topic, such as explaining a complicated tax issue or read more
- Generation Y
- High Income Professionals
- Student Loan Planning
- Young Families
Ways Advisor Charges
- Monthly Fee
- Assets Under Management
- Monthly Fee: starting at $150
- Hourly Fee: $150
- AUM: No additional charge, included in financial planning fee regardless of account size.