Join XY Planning Network
Interested in joining the leading network of fee-only financial advisors who specialize in serving their ideal clients while running their own firms? XY Planning Network would love to give you the tools, help, and support you need to succeed. Please note that special group rates are available for multi-advisor firms.
We strive to maintain the highest membership standards of any organization for financial advisors. All of our members must meet the following standards to qualify for membership:
Standard XY Planning Network Membership
- Fee-Only: Members must operate on a fee-only basis. We follow the CFP Board’s definition of Fee-Only: “A certificant may describe his or her practice as “fee-only” if, and only if, all of the certificant’s compensation from all of his or her client work comes exclusively from the clients in the form of fixed, flat, hourly, percentage or performance-based fees.”
- Gen X/Gen Y Client Focus: Members must specialize in working with Gen X and/or Gen Y clients – While you do not need to work exclusively with Gen X/Y clients, these clients must represent a specialty.
- Financial Planning Centric: Financial planning must be at the core of your service offering to clients. Most of our advisors also offer investment management services, however financial planning is their primary service offering.
- Provide Services Virtually: Members must provide services on a virtual basis to clients. You do not need to exclusively work virtually, simply provide it as needed.
- Monthly Retainer Service Model: Members must provide financial planning on a monthly retainer basis to clients. Members are welcome to offer services on an hourly, AUM, or flat-fee basis as well, however monthly retainer should be a core offering.
- Certified Financial Planner® Professional: Members must have the CFP® designation in order to be listed on the Advisor Search tool. Associate membership is available for those who are not CFP®s. (See below.)
- NAPFA: Members are required to join NAPFA within 12 months of joining XYPN.
- Associate membership is available for members who are not CFP® certificants, or are in the process of transitioning their businesses to fee-only.
- Associate Members will have access to all XYPN features and benefits, except the Advisor Search tool, and may hold themselves out to the public as XYPN Associate Members.
- Associate Members that are not fee-only will have 12 months from the date of membership acceptance to fully transition their business to fee-only.
- Available only to advisors with full-time residence outside of the United States.
- Access to Find an Advisor portal with CFP® designation.
- Access to member-exclusive forums, educational materials, and resources.
Please note that all Network members must sign a fiduciary oath. Applicants are also expected to also sign a compliance terms of service and an agreement regarding their fee-only transition. Specifically, this agreement states that as an XYPN member, the advisor:
- Must not sell any new products immediately as of joining
- Must eliminate all trails within 12 months
- Must not hold out as fee-only at any point, including during the 12 month period, while still receiving trails (and also acknowledges no member can be listed on the XYPN website while receiving any trails)
Finally, each member is screened via BrokerCheck for approval into the Network. No member is approved if they have a regulatory fine, arbitration or settlement in excess of $10k. Please review this article for more information.
How To Join
Select which membership in XY Planning Network you want to apply for, using the buttons below. If you are unsure if you qualify, please schedule a call with Stacey Unruh, our Director of Membership, before submitting your application. You may also reach Stacey via email at Stacey@XYPlanningNetwork.com.